The Hellenic Observatory for Intercultural Education, with focus on the cultural pluralism of the Greek society, aspires to contribute to the strengthening of intercultural dialogue, the expansion of research in the field of intercultural education and the introduction and support of innovations at school.
The Observatory constitutes a collective effort of researchers, educators and administrators across Greece. It is a scientific association, which was established at the initiative of a research group of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and runs since August 2008.
The Observatory is...
■ A centre for intercultural dialogue
- the fertile exchange and osmosis between the cultures which are represented in the Greek society
- the social integration of different cultural communities and the strengthening of social cohesion
- the promotion of dialogue between educators, researchers, respective authorities and local communities on issues of migration policy and intercultural education
- the contribution to the evolving European dialogue on matters of migration and education
by means of...
- organising special events, conferences and seminars
- developing communication networks of educators, administrators and community members
- cooperating with observatories, associations and international organisations working on relevant topics
■ A documentation centre for research and educational policy in the field of intercultural education
- the contribution towards bridging significant gaps, observed in the documentation and research on migration and education
- the deployment of the institutional framework, as well as the existing human and other resources available at the Greek university, in order to amend the research gap
- the composition of a library and archive with contemporary literature, legal texts and primary data on subjects concerning intercultural education (i.e. academic achievement, student 'drop-out', transfer from secondary to higher education)
- the improvement of state education and the managing of school failure
by means of...
- deploying human resources, particularly young scientists with qualifications, specialisation and experience in intercultural education, applied linguistics and other fields of social sciences and the humanities
- composing a record of specialised scientists
■ A pole for networking and support of school units
- the recording of good practices regarding intercultural education and their dissemination in schools
- the formation of school networks (preschools, primary, secondary schools and university) in order to exchange experiences and apply innovations with the aim of improving their educational work
- the connection of schools with organisations and other authorities that engage in matters of migration policy and education, as well as the local community
- the interconnection of all educational levels (primary, secondary, higher)
- the concentration, capitalisation and dissemination of the knowledge that has been acquired through experimental applications and good practices applied at schools in the framework of nationwide and other projects, which take place with the cooperation of the Ministry of Education and universities in Greece, as well as the contribution towards its viability
by means of...
- composing an archive of teaching and training material and a bank of didactic practices
- advising and supporting schools and educators with the assistance of special scientists - members of the Observatory